MYP | Middle Years Programme
Grades 6 - 10
MYP Coordinator: Sabrina McCartney
At CDS the Middle Years Programme spans the three years of Middle School and the first two years of high school. The MYP provides a framework to help students develop the knowledge, understanding, attitudes and skills necessary to participate actively and responsibly in a changing world. As with the Primary Years Progamme and Diploma Programme, the IB Learner Profile defines the type of lifelong learner the MYP strives to develop.
MYP Curriculum Framework
The MYP curriculum at CDS emphasizes a broad and balanced education in each of eight subject areas: Language and Literature (English), Humanities, Sciences, Mathematics, Language Acquisition (Spanish or French), Physical Education, Technology, and the Arts.
The IB Middle Years Programme
- addresses holistically students' intellectual, social, emotional and physical well-being
- provides students opportunities to develop the knowledge, attitudes and skills they need in order to manage complexity and take responsible action for the future
- ensures breadth and depth of understanding through study in eight subject groups
- requires the study of at least two languages (language of instruction and additional language of choice) to support students in understanding their own cultures and those of others
- empowers students to participate in service within the community
- helps to prepare students for further education, the workplace