The Patriot Playhouse
In 2022, Carrollwood Day School opened its doors and stage to the community by creating the Patriot Playhouse. Led by CDS middle school theatre teacher, Julie Nelson, the Patriot Playhouse brought Annie Jr. to the stage, along with workshops led by Broadway stars. With the goal of community the Patriot Playhouse is open to students from all over the Tampa Bay Area.
Patriot Playhouse presents...Bye, Bye Birdie Youth Edition
A musical inspired by the phenomenon of Elvis Presley
When the draft selects rockstar Conrad Birdie, his fans are devastated, but none more than struggling songwriter Albert Peterson, whose Birdie was just about to record. Albert's longtime girlfriend, Rosie, pushes Albert to write a new tune that Birdie will perform on television to a fan selected in a contest. The scheme works, with young Ohio teenager Kim McAfee declared the winner, but no one has counted on the jealous wrath of her boyfriend.
Every student will be cast. Auditions are only to see which role they are best suited for and allows them to shine!
- Auditions are open to 1st thru 12th grade students
- Younger cast members who are cast in the ensemble, will have shorter rehearsals. They will rehearse select Saturdays from 9 am - 11 pm.
- Auditions are Saturday, Sept. 9th 9am - 1pm ( A signup genius link will be sent once students are registered. This will include audition information.)
- Rehearsals will start September 23rd and will be 9 am - 1 pm on Saturdays. There will be a rehearsal schedule distributed after casting.
- Show dates are: Friday, March 22nd @ 7pm, Saturday, March 23rd @ 2pm & 7PM, and Sunday, March 24th @ 2pm.
- Mandatory tech rehearsals are Monday, March 18th - Thursday, March 21st from 3:00 pm - 7:00 pm.
- Registration is $495 (Payments may be made in 2 installments)
Please email Julie Nelson for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org or register for auditions today!
Once casting is complete there are no refunds. Each cast member is needed to perform the show.
Julie Nelson earned her B.A. in Communication Arts with minors in Theatre and Dance at Catawba College in NC. She started her teaching career when she was teaching a Body Language and Writing Skills Workshop at a High School in North Carolina and was asked to develop their theatre and dance program. She developed their program and has been passionate about teaching ever since! After moving to Florida 25 years ago, she has directed, choreographed, and performed in numerous productions throughout the Tampa Bay Area. She has taught Theatre & Dance to students in grades PreK-3 thru 12th grade over the past 28 years. Julie is super excited to bring her love of the performing arts to CDS and her students!